Saturday, December 31, 2016

Vinyl Unboxing: Air For Free (MSSS Series, Part 1)

Now that all the little added extras to the blog are finally up and don't need my full attention, I can dedicate my time to writing more about the guys, their music, and their merch. Today's post is all about Air For Free on vinyl, and it's the start of a little four part series I'm going to call the "Merch Store Shopping Spree" series.

This is something I've wanted to write about for a long time, and now that I have a record player I can finally do it!

I ordered this vinyl along with some other goodies on December 26th and received my package on December 30. I don't think I've ever been so inpatient in my life.

The 2LP 180 gram white vinyl come packaged in a gatefold jacket along with an insert that features photos of the guys and the Air For Free primary color dots, and a digital download card.

Front and Back

Inside

180 gram 2LP vinyl

Inside Notes

Front and Back of the Insert


The track listing is different than the CD, and is as follows:

Side A:
Local Construction
Bummin'
Marigold
Runnin'

Side B:
Mrs. Hippopotamuses
Cat
Elephant Parade
Man

Side C:
Air For Free
God
Prodigal
Empty House

Side D:
Mountaintop
Sleepin'
Flower
Heartache

Matt Hoopes said a lot of time was spent sequencing the vinyl album. Songs on each side are specifically grouped to give the album a nice flow and allow for quick listening sessions. Personally, this is one of my favorite features of the album. It almost reminds me of how Forget and Not Slow Down goes from one track to another with connecting intros/outros. It all just clicks and works.

As for the tracks that really stood out upon the initial listening, all I really want to talk about Empty House.

Empty House was one of the tracks that really hit me. Hearing any song or album on vinyl is an experience in an of itself, but with a song like Empty House? For me it was like no other. I've heard the song numerous times, and it's one of my favorites, but the first time hearing it on vinyl reduced me to tears. The simple piano track paired with the autotuned vocals just convey this feeling that's like no other. It's a truly moving song, even though I still don't have a clue as to what's sung in half of the first verse.

In the end I just want to say this is an amazing album. Each song is of the highest quality and they all sound spectacular on vinyl. If you haven't listened to it yet, please do! And for those of you who haven't bought the vinyl but want to hear it in the same sequencing as the vinyl, check out Relient K's Spotify playlist here.

Hope you guys have a great New Year's. See you then!

Don't blink,
Sahara

PS: I'm uploading the entries to the Creative Corner tab tomorrow, don't forget to check it out and submit your own edits/art!

No comments :

Post a Comment