Friday, December 2, 2016

Goodbye Dubai

Hey guys! So I was only planning to make one more post before the new year, but I was just sitting around thinking and I suddenly remembered how Matt Thiessen mentioned in an interview that Goodbye Dubai was in the works. I figured I'd type up a quick post with information about it in case some of you didn't know about it or wanted to know more! Happy reading!

In July, Matt and Matt sat down with chorus.fm for a lengthy interview. A little more than midway through, Thiessen vaguely mentioned working on a project with Owl City called Goodbye Dubai. Here's what he said:



If you have no idea what an "Owl City" is, let me explain. Owl City is an electronic music project created in 2007 by Adam Young. Goodbye Dubai has been in the works since 2009 and the release of Owl City's first studio album Ocean Eyes.

Ocean Eyes, released July 14th, 2009, Universal Republic Records



Matt worked with Young extensively on the album, lending back up vocals to four songs, including the hit Fireflies, and co-writing and featuring on Tidal Wave. The same year, Young programmed and produced Terminals from Relient K's Forget and Not Slow Down. The pair has worked together quite a bit since then, mainly on Owl City, except in 2013 when Young (as Owl City) lent his vocals to That's My Jam from Collapsible Lung.

So, let's get down to the facts.

Recently, Adam Young announced his return to Owl City in 2017. For the whole of 2016 he's taken a break from the project and dedicated his time to an instrumental score project (which has just ended), releasing a whole album each month based around a historical event of his choosing. Now, if he's been working on Goodbye Dubai during all this (which I think he has, due to the fact Thiessen said in the interview that he was flying to Minnesota later that week to work on it) I want to say an album or EP under the Goodbye Dubai moniker will be released sometime late 2017 to early 2018.

I'm not entirely sure, for all I know it could come way sooner - which I wouldn't mind - or way, way, WAY later, considering the project has been in the works since 2009. It really all depends on the guys' schedules, when they're able to work on it, and how close they are to actually being done with it. That being said, as fans of both artists I'm super excited to see and hear what they have created! I'll keep you updated!

All the best,
Sahara

6 comments :

  1. Cannot express how pumped I am for Goodbye Dubai!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too! I hope we get to see some of their work soon

      Delete
  2. Huh funny that i was just browsing through the owl city database tumblr and on the very end of their page about adam's other weird projects goodbye dubai was there. Now here's the thing i remember reading that way back, that's supported by the fact that post is from 3 years ago (maybe even 4 since the year just began). Now we have this interview from last june. Didn't expect for that to be still floating, specially how some concrete info about adam's obscure stuff is usually irritatingly vague.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! The project's been around for about 8 years, I'm so glad they're finally putting it into motion. I think there was a 2016 interview with Adam where the project was mentioned, but I couldn't find it.

      Delete
  3. I caught up with Thiessen about Goodbye Dubai a couple months ago... it's pretty exciting to say the least. He and Adam are pretty far along in the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, that's really exciting to hear!! If you ever have any other information you'd like to share, I would absolutely LOVE to hear it (of course)! You can always drop me a line by email/Twitter. Thanks so much for sharing that!

      - Sahara

      Delete